Parenting Tips- How to help your child deal with exam stress?
With exams approaching, it is true that there must be an environment of stress in your home. Seeing your kids in exam stress, you too must be worried about both their health and performance in the exams. It is understandable that your child must be facing anxiety and pressure of giving his/her best in the exams. Thus, it becomes the duty of the parents to help their children overcome the exam stress and stay mentally & physically healthy.
So, here are some great and effective tips that you can implement to pull your kids out of the exam pressure. Go through them as under-
- Recognise the signs of stress- As a parent, you will first have to look for signs of stress in your child. Since children hesitate or maybe, do not feel comfortable talking about their stress, you will have to make an extra effort to recognise the same. Some of the common signs of stress are loss of appetite, sleeplessness, anxiety, crankiness, headache, fatigue, anxiety and others. If your child shows any of these symptoms, then it’s for you to do your bit.
- Monitor their study schedule- Parents must ensure that their children are not over-pressurising themselves with a strict study schedule. Sometimes, children do not feel confident even after studying for hours maybe because the study timetable is lacking somewhere. So, you must help your children make a realistic and effective timetable that focuses more on strengthening their academic weaknesses.
- Take note of diet- One thing that you must not neglect is giving nutritious food to your children who’s all engrossed in preparing for the exam. Extra care must be taken so that, their mind and body work well. Include more of nuts, green veggies, fruits, juices and other nutrient-rich foods in their diet.
- Encourage them to exercise- To let the mind and body function healthily, it is inevitable to do a workout. So, you must encourage your child to do exercise at least for 30 mins, if not 1 full hour. Doing the exercise in the early hours of the day will keep them rejuvenated all throughout the day and will smash their stress.
- Ask them to take breaks- Note that, studying continuously for hours and hours will them feel exhausted and will affect the brain’s power to retain knowledge. Thus, you must ask your child to take breaks after every 1 or 2 hours. in the break time, they can either take a nap, listen to their much-loved music or talk to a friend.
Thus, you must pay heed to all the tips discussed above to assist your child in overcoming the exam pressure. If you need, you can even take the help of a counsellor and go as per his/her guidelines. Remember not to put any pressure on your child. Let him/her prepare in a relaxed and calm manner if you want to see him/her clearing the exams with flying colours. Take care!